Curriculum Provider – American Heart Association
Certification Duration – 2 years
Course Format – Instructor led video based learning with skills verification.
Course Length 5-6 hours
The 2015 Guidelines Update for First Aid reaffirms the goals of first aid: to reduce morbidity and mortality by alleviating suffering, preventing further illness or injury, and promoting recovery. The scope of first aid has been expanded, particularly for control of severe bleeding. First aid can be initiated by anyone, in any situation, and includes self-care.
AHA’s Heartsaver First Aid course provides the knowledge and skills that may help save a life. It offers the basics of first aid, consisting of the most common life-threatening emergencies, how to recognize them, how to call for help, and how to perform lifesaving skills. The most important goal of this course is to teach students to act in an emergency.
Heartsaver courses from AHA offer: a cohesive, consistent experience for the learner, best practices to give students the best possible learning experience and help them better retain information, enhanced and realistic scenarios, while providing course and content flexibility.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THE COURSE? Heartsaver courses are intended for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, regulatory (e.g., OSHA), or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting.
- First Aid Basics (duties, roles, and responsibilities of first aid rescuers, key steps of first aid)
- Medical Emergencies (breathing, choking, allergic reaction, heart attack, stroke, and more)
- Injury Emergencies (external and internal bleeding, wounds, sprain, broken bones, burns, and more)
- Environmental Emergencies (bites and stings, cold- and heat-related emergencies, poisonings, and more)
- Preventing Illness and Injury
NOTE: This course does not include CPR and AED training. If you are required to take a CPR and AED course along with First Aid you should select the AHA Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED course contained in the Training section.